Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gotta Make the donuts...

So I decided to take the day off yesterday.

Let's face it - I don't need practice. I'm at the top of my game. I know it. Always did know it. It just took one stupid pass to win the game against San Francisco, and look at that. You're all on board now.

So I had nothing to do.

I took a ride to the Old Fashioned Donut Shoppe. (I love any business attempting to get the "old world feel" by adding an "PE" to the word "Shop." It's genius, actually.

Isn't it amazing that by adding 2 little letters, you get instant gravitas. (Kind of like adding "BF" to the Vikings. I'm just sayin'...)

So I walk in - and instantly the staff knows. Brett is here. We need to make this special.

So Joe, the owner, invites me back to see the process. It's really not a whole lot different than football.

You put a bunch of ingredients in a bowl, (locker room) mix them up, (training camp) mold all of it into a shape that you find appealing and discard the unnecessary, (roster cuts) and then cook it. (games)

What you get is really pretty good. But it's not done yet. You're missing one critical piece that separates it all.

Toppings.

Let's call it like it is. You could top a donut with sour cream (Sage Rosenfels) or you could top it with turkey gravy. (Tavaris Jackson) But realistically, who'd pay for that crap? (Season ticket sales)

No, no, no... You top a donut with the sweetest, most magnificent thing in the world. Icing. (Brett Favre)

Then - the donut is amazing. It's perfection in a circle. (Super Bowl.)

I'm not saying that I guarantee I'll win another Super Bowl this year. But I'm sure as hell not saying that I wont.

No comments:

Post a Comment